Homemakers: A History
Your Furniture Store for More Than Four Decades
Homemakers Furniture is an Urbandale, Iowa-based company with a mission to turn houses into homes. Founded in 1974 by Carl and Ina Merschman, Homemakers prides itself on providing high-quality furniture, mattresses and home accessories, as well as exceptional savings, to customers across the country. Acquired by Nebraska Furniture Mart, a Berkshire Hathaway company, in 2000, Homemakers continues to be operated and managed by members of the Merschman family.
- Carl and Ina Merschman founded Homemakers Furniture in 1974. The Des Moines store opened with just ten employees.
- Business boomed! The Merschmans opened an Urbandale location in 1985.
- Homemakers Furniture caught the eye of Warrenn Buffett. Berkshire Hathaway acquired Homemakers in 2000, but we're still a family-operated business––it's the best of both worlds!
- In 2007, we broke ground on a huge, four-phase renovation in Urbandale.
- In 2009, we combined our two stores, added the Clearance Center and celebrated the redesigned Urbandale showroom's grand opening.
- In 2012, we expanded our warehouse, adding nearly 56% more storage capacity.
- In 2014, we successfully launched our new website and joined the e-commerce movement.
- We broke ground on another major renovation in 2015. This time, we're building a massive distribution center to accomodate our flourishing business. Our thanks go out to all our amazing customers who've helped Homemakers thrive. We're thrilled about the growth we've seen over the last four decades, as well as everything the future holds!