How to Combine Interior Design Styles
Let’s be honest, not everyone has just ONE interior design style anymore. You may like the look of one but the function of another… but mixing them can seem like a tricky task. Over the years, popular design styles have been constantly changing, updating, and adapting, with many utilizing similar elements and functions. Newer interior design styles, such as mid-century modern, are adaptations of two different interior styles that simply overlap similar elements.
When used correctly, combining two interior styles that have similar elements and complement one other can give your interior a whole new look! Don’t be defined by just ONE style, instead find the luxury in making it up as you go. Explore inspirational ways to update your home when you combine decorating styles.
4 Steps to Combining Interior Design Styles
So, you like two separate interior styles but not sure how to combine them? Here are four simple steps on how you can mix your favorite styles at home!
1. Identify the two styles you associate with the most…
Whether or not you’re torn between two styles, you most likely identify with one more than the rest. Your choice is going to be your “main interior style” when decorating your home.
Once you’ve identified your main style, choose your second favorite. This is your “complementing style” that will accentuate your home through accessories or furniture.
-For example, your main style is farmhouse and your second is modern.
Not 100% sure what style you like? Don’t worry! Take our design style quiz to find out!
2. Find what you like and don’t like about the styles…
One easy way to start the mixing process is to figure out what you like and don’t like about each style. Determine your least favorite components of your main interior style and replace them with elements of your second.
For example, if you love the wood-style look of farmhouse but aren’t so keen on how much it’s used, replace it with materials commonly used in the modern style.
3. Find the overlapping elements…
Grouping similar elements will help your interior keep a unified flow and balance. Think about what colors, materials, and other pieces overlap in each style’s palette. Use your main interior style as your base, then incorporate your second style with accessories or patterns that effortlessly complement your interior.
For example, farmhouse and modern seem to overlap neutral colors such as white, gray, beige, and black.
4. Follow the 80/20 rule…
Identifying your two styles is easy but mixing them is where it gets complicated. The best rule of thumb to follow is the 80/20 rule. 80% of a room should be styled with your main interior style choice and the remaining 20% should be your second, complementing style. The 80/20 rule is great for those who aren’t quite sure where to start when deciding to combine decorating styles.
Once you’ve seen these styles come to life in your home, it’ll be easier to visualize whether or not they actually suit your interior. If you find yourself needing to change or switch it up, feel free to adjust the percentages!
The best way to learn how to mix interior design styles is to find inspiration. Take a look at some of the trending combined interior styles below!
Boho + Glam
Traditional + Rustic
Similar Product in Image: Amax Leather Nottingham 100% Leather Chesterfield Sofa
Moody + Boho
Similar Product in Image: Ashley Benedict Charcoal Pouf, Modus Furniture Adler Queen Bed
Modern + Farmhouse
Similar Product in Image: Industrias Magromer Exotic Light Brown Cowhide Rug
Mid-Century Modern + Casual
Product in Image: Ashley Baneway Sofa
What if you want to combine more than two styles?
So now that you know how to combine two decorating styles, what happens if you want to go full wild and mix more than two? Although it seems impossible, the 80/20 rule can actually still work! You just have to alter your percentages a little to each style and remember that your main style should always be dominant. For example, 60% farmhouse, 20% modern, 20% boho. The key to combining styles is to identify similar elements and include common threads!
No matter what styles you’re mixing, you always want to make sure they complement one another. By following the 80/20 rule and using similar elements, you’ll find it super easy when it comes to combining interior design styles to highlight your home. Create the perfect look in your interior when you decorate using two or more styles!